Friday, May 28, 2010

Time for a Couple of "Job Well Dones"

One of the things that I have enjoyed about being NEA-Dallas President is that I have been able to visit the schools of the Dallas ISD. I will never forget the first time, and everytime since, that I have walked the halls of our DISD elementary schools.

Students all in line, their hands behind their backs, moving very orderly and QUIETLY through the halls. For all of the grief our elementary teachers receive from the Administration and everyone else, they do a fantastic job!

And, I, for one, want to say, "Thank You!"

I was in an elementary school just last week in one of the suburbs. You know the ones: no portables; nice cool buildings because the air conditioning is working; state-of-the-art equipment, etc. Well, let me tell you, those teachers aren't even in the same ballpark as our DISD teachers!

I just happened to be in the hall when the bell sounded. It was like a jail break! Students running up and down the halls, yelling-hollering... reminded me of the video "School's Out For Summer", but it wasn't... I would have expected something like that in a middle school or even a high school, but an ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?!?!

Students came tearing down the hall without teachers, so I asked the counselor, with whom I was walking, "Where are their teachers?" She looked kinda bewildered and about that time a couple of teachers rounded the corner. I told her, "Boy, these teachers better be glad I wasn't their principal!"

So, whenever you start thinking DISD teachers aren't doing their jobs, you should think again. I have never seen an elementary school in the DISD where students were allowed to behave so badly.

My other "Job Well Done" goes out to the Dallas County Schools Board of Trustees. At their meeting on May 20 they passed a new program aimed at helping their employees. This program will reimburse up to $1000 a year for college/technical school classes for part-time employees and up to $2000 a year for full-time employees.

At a time when school districts across the state of Texas are cutting employees and freezing salaries, the Dallas County Schools Board of Trustees is doing something to help their employees.
Thank you Trustees!

If you want more information on the Dallas County Schools program, you can contact the DCS Communications Director, Deanne Hullender, at 214.944.4545.

No comments: